The Basic Triangle (in 3 steps)
Start in the triangle setup position with a two-handed head control.
STEP 1: PASS THE ARM:
Passing his arm across does two things. It negates his back-elbow resistance to your triangle and it reduces some of the volume needed for the choke.
- 1Lift the hips high
- 2Get a 2 on 1 grip on his trapped arm
- 3Pass it across your body
STEP 2: ANCHOR AND ANGLE:
Getting an anchor & angle stops him from stacking you.
- 1Underhook BG’s leg or arm on the opposite side of his trapped arm.
- 2Pull yourself 90 degrees as you step on the floor (or his hip) to push off with your support leg
STEP 3: LOCK AND SQUEEZE:
- 1Lock the full triangle. Make sure strangle leg is perpendicular to his spine and above the shoulder line. ELIMINATE THE SHOULDER FROM THE LOCK. Take out all the space between his neck and your legs. Squeeze by curling the legs. If done correctly the strangulation power is immense. Pulling on the head is not needed.
Basic Triangle Drill: Micro-drill these three steps repeatedly until they become second nature. Then have the student drill each step against mild resistance.